Don’t suffer in silence.
Vaginal dryness: tackling a taboo topic
Vaginal dryness is something women don’t like to talk about, even the ones who suffer with it. But there’s no need to keep the issue to yourself. It is a common problem affecting a full quarter of all women. It’s especially troubling in women over the age of 50, although it can occur at any age and can cause serious quality of life issues. These are some of the reasons women finally break their silence to their provider and seek help.
• General daily discomfort
• Increased risk of infections
• Painful intercourse
• Pain during routine pap smears
The top 3 causes of vaginal dryness
- The menopause period: the number one reason for vaginal dryness is the period before the onset of full menopause (perimenopause) and menopause itself. During these milestones in a woman’s life the production of the hormone estrogen slows. Estrogen is an important female hormone boosting collagen production and helping maintain natural vaginal moisture, lubrication and skin integrity. One out of every three women will experience this problem due to this decrease in estrogen.
- Childbirth and breastfeeding: During childbirth, estrogen levels drop and fluctuate thereafter. For nursing mothers estrogen levels will drop drastically because estrogen interferes with milk production.
- Overall changes in vaginal appearance and function: for many women, age and life milestones can cause subtle changes over time to the look and feel of the vaginal area. This can lead to lower levels of arousal before intercourse and hence vaginal dryness.
What are some of the effects of vaginal dryness?
- Pain, irritation, burning or dryness during intercourse
- Bleeding or spotting during or after intercourse
- Discomfort or pain during a routine GYN exams
- Changes to the look and feel of the vagina
diVa® and diVaTyte™
diVa® and diVaTyte™ are extremely popular and exciting nonsurgical solutions that are very effective in treating vaginal dryness. diVa® and diVaTyte™ use the unique Hybrid Fractional Technology (HFL) to deliver two customized laser treatments at once. For the treatment of the interior vaginal walls, the first laser resurfaces the deep layers of the vaginal wall replacing it with healthy, new tissue. The second laser heats the layers where there is existing collagen causing new collagen production. In addition to improving dryness, for outer vaginal appearance, diVaTyte™ may be a right fit for you. diVaTyte™ takes only three to five minutes and is done in the privacy of the office. It is relatively painless although local anesthetic may be used. diVa® and diVaTyte™ involve virtually no downtime. Get back to your normal lifestyle right away.
In addition to improving dryness, for outer vaginal appearance, diVaTyte™ may be a right fit for you. diVaTyte™ takes only three to five minutes and is done in the privacy of the office. It is relatively painless although local anesthetic may be used. diVa® and diVaTyte™ involve virtually no downtime. Get back to your normal lifestyle right away.